Monday, October 17, 2016

Meeting Moved/Changed for This Saturday

Hi TAPT-ers,

We have had a change in our activity scheduled for Saturday, October 22nd. Chris Ubing was scheduled to give a Mathematica workshop, but he has had to cancel.

Instead, we will have a workshop on group quizzes and group tests. I gave a short talk on this at both the AP reading professional development night, and the recent AZAAPT meeting, and teachers were very interested. I will show the IF-AT (Immediate Feedback Assessment Test) and I’ll have some samples that you can use to get started in your classroom. These are inexpensive forms and most high school teachers I’ve talked to have been able to ask their administration to purchase enough for the year.

In addition, I’ll show what I’ve been doing to increase exam scores and understanding using a group test extension. The basic method is to extend one of your exam questions to something deeper and more conceptual, and then let students think about the questions in groups. I’ll give some sample questions that I have used, and will discuss the Physics Teacher article that this comes from. Demian Quiroz gave a TAPT 10-minute talk about two years ago, and that started my interest in it, and it’s been very successful. This is one of the best methods I’ve found for team-building in class, and for making your exams learning experiences.

Since we don’t need the laptops or equipment in my lab, I thought we would meet at our usual spot, J.D. Garcia’s home. There is plenty of room to work. We’ll have our usual potluck breakfast, and then have a working, professional development time from 9:00 - 11:00. 

To get the most out of this, you could bring a recent or future exam that you would like to modify, and/or a quiz that you would like to modify to use the teamwork methods.

Professional development credit is available. Let me know if you would like me to bring a certificate for you.
Hope to see you Saturday,

Karie

No comments:

Post a Comment